A Microsoft Analysis Services "Tune Up" is a great was to insure that you are getting the maximum analytic capabilities out of your cube. It will also give you a "second opinion" or "validation" of your model. Analysis Services Tune Ups can be accomplished remotely or on-site. The duration of a Tune Up is usually 1 - 4 days.
Topics covered during an tune up
- Insure that hierarchy relationships are set up properly in each of the dimensions;
- Check that the date dimension is set up properly so that a date calculations dimension will calculate properly.
- Are date calculations like YTD, Pr Yr, etc. needed? If so, help put those in place.
- Are named sets like "current day", "current month", etc. needed? If so, help put those in place.
- Review of user interface with cube. (Names, folders, visible attributes, etc.)
- What about security? Is there dimensional level security and does it need to by dynamic? If so, help put those in place.
- Analyze the cube partitioning strategy. Is it a fit for query activity? Are the partitions good size?
- Review of cube processing. Does the cube need partial processing every day?
- Are aggregations set properly? If not, then help put that into place.